USB Ports stopped working

donmar 16:40 05 Mar 06

I have 4 usb2 ports on my machine and all were working normally.
Yesterday the 2 ports at the back stopped working.The 2 ports at the side work fine but if anything at all is plugged into them the computer will not boot. If I unplug, the machine will boot. I then plug in the mouse,an external hard drive and dvd writer and all work fine.

Do you have any idea how I can get the two at the back working again?

Thank you.
I have win xp sp2
Don

can-am 17:04 05 Mar 06

hi there, you could try updateing the driver in device manager,this wil tell you if theres a problem with it, double click on one of the root usb,s and find driver information, click update and it will search for drivers, it may ask for a cd but dont select that, let it search to see if it can find anything.Or do a system restore, i have had problems with a usb hub pci slot in which it malfunctioned, caused me no end of prioblems, crashes and lock ups i had to take this out in end!! took me a week to work out what it was.Hope this will help.

donmar 17:23 05 Mar 06

Thanks can-am.

The device manager reports all working with the best driver already installed. Ther is no sign in the device manager that anything is wrong.Sys restore works but does not fix it,neither does my installing a bacup made in Dec. 2005 when the ports were fine. Also tried sfc scannow which made no difference, Don

rawprawn 17:23 05 Mar 06

Check the connections

ade.h 17:26 05 Mar 06

If you can rule out cable and driver issues, uninstall all the host controllers, then reboot. Often cures the problem.

surfmonkey #:@} 17:59 05 Mar 06

might be worth a look in the bios sometimes they can turn them selves of dont know why it just happens to me occasionally

woodchip 18:04 05 Mar 06

In device manager, uninstall all usb and restart your computer

donmar 18:54 05 Mar 06

Thanks guys. Did all that cables and drivers ok.
Uninstalled all usb and restarted.One port at the side works ok but wil only see the modem and not the cordless mouse.The two at the back are dead. The two at the side will light up a usb lamp but but only work either the modem or the mouse.

Don

skidzy 19:01 05 Mar 06

Have a look here for a recent usb problem.
click here

donmar 19:32 05 Mar 06

Hi skidzy

Tried the turning off the power at the wall but of course the backup battery took over so Iguess thats why it did not work.Any ideas about switching off the back up battery? This machine is a desk top replacement laptop.
Don

rsinbad 19:35 05 Mar 06

run without the battery then wsitch off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5