USB ports not working

kevinjuan 13:56 21 Feb 07

Abit NF7-s motherboard, AMD XP 3000+, 1 Gb ram

Upon booting my PC this morning I found that any USB device that was plugged in to the motherboard ports didn't work. I have 2 ports directly on the mobo, 2 front mounted and 2 on a rear slot( plugged into the mobo).

Device manager shows all USB ports as ok.
Devices plugged into mobo ports show as faulty.

Devices plugged into the USB PCI card do work.

I have done a system restore to no avail. I have also reloaded my USB mobo drivers.

Any advice? What can I try next?

Technotiger 14:07 21 Feb 07

Hi, check in the BIOS that usb is still enabled. It is possible that something has change the BIOS setting without your knowledge - these things do happen.

skidzy 15:07 21 Feb 07

Have you tried refreshing all usb ports within device manager ?

Uninstall everything under usb headings in device manager and reboot,xp should install the generic drivers.

But first check out Technotiger's suggestion within the bios to see if they are enabled.

Getting into the bios:

Upon reboot hit either the
Delete key/F1/F2/F10..if you do not know the bios key it may take several reboots.

kevinjuan 21:20 21 Feb 07

Hi all.
1). In my BIOS( Pheonix - Award) Integrated Peripherals / On Chip PCI Device - USB Controller = v1.1 + v2.0. Is this OK?

2.) If I uninstall all my USB in Device Manager will I need the Win XP CD? I dont have it at the moment.

3). If i connect anything to the mobo usb, when in Device Manager the Device Manager screen refreshes every 3 secs and mmc.exe runs at 8%. Unplug and mmc.exe goes to zero and the screen stops being refreshed.

Does this help or complicate matters?

Technotiger 21:32 21 Feb 07

Hi,
1) .. you just need to check that usb is Enabled in the BIOS. Yes what you found was ok, but was it shown as Disabled or Enabled?

2) .. After uninstalling usb in Device Manager, windows will find and reinstall usb on re-start. Not sure about needing CD, but don't think so.

3) .. don't try anything else until above two items sorted.

kevinjuan 10:44 22 Feb 07

Thanks Technotiger / Skidzy

The BIOS Showed Disabled/V1.1/v1.1+2.0 so I left it at V1.1+V2.0.

I removed all USB from Device Manager and rebooted. Windows found them all and everything is working again.

Many thanks to you both. What a fantastic site this is!

Technotiger 12:34 22 Feb 07

Grrreat - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…