USB ports not working

s99Raj 14:58 07 Aug 05

I have an old PC with an ASUS SP97-XV motherboard on it and a 233 MHz processor.

XP Prof loads OK onto it and although it runs slowly it seems to be working OK in all areas except for the two onboard USB ports. I've also loaded Windows Service Pack 1 on.

I've tried looking at the Asus webiste but it doesn't seem to list any drivers for XP.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the USB ports working? Cheers.

Totally-braindead 15:24 07 Aug 05

I think what you may have done is not installed corrctly, appologies if I'm incorrect in this. What you need to do is install your Operating System then install the motherboard drivers then install any other things such as graphics card drivers then antivirus then your internet connection. The motherboard drivers must be installed immediatly after windows if you don't do it this way some of the items do not work. Your motherboard drivers are here if you don't have them click here but this computer may have severe problems running XP, there are no XP drivers that I can see listed plus in terms of speed 233mhz, its very slow for expecting XP to run on it particularly since you say its XP Pro. If there are no XP motherboard drivers that maybe why you can't get the ports to work. To be perfectly honest you'd be better trying to install something like Win 98 on it if you have the disks.

Totally-braindead 15:24 07 Aug 05

I think what you may have done is not installed corrctly, appologies if I'm incorrect in this. What you need to do is install your Operating System then install the motherboard drivers then install any other things such as graphics card drivers then antivirus then your internet connection. The motherboard drivers must be installed immediatly after windows if you don't do it this way some of the items do not work. Your motherboard drivers are here if you don't have them click here but this computer may have severe problems running XP, there are no XP drivers that I can see listed plus in terms of speed 233mhz, its very slow for expecting XP to run on it particularly since you say its XP Pro. If there are no XP motherboard drivers that maybe why you can't get the ports to work. To be perfectly honest you'd be better trying to install something like Win 98 on it if you have the disks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 07 Aug 05

Any USB drivers loaded? check device manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Has a SIS 5582 or 5598 chipset?

Manual drivers Ausus suprt click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 07 Aug 05

USB drivers are normaly prt of XP.

Try to uninstall any USB devices from device manager and reboot let XP find and install new hardware.

s99Raj 15:43 07 Aug 05

In the Device Manager there are no USB controllers.

"Totally-braindead" - I've been to the site you suggested but there are no PX drivers there. i wonder if the NT drivers would work.

Usually USB drivers ARE loaded normally as part of XP but maybe this motherboard is too old for that?

Should I just buy a USB PCI card and slot that in? Would that work?

mark2 16:01 07 Aug 05

Have you checked in the bios that usb is enabled ?

s99Raj 16:25 07 Aug 05

Just as mark2 posted his suggestion I was trying exactly that. I searched through the BIOS settings and found a USB setting which said "disabled", so I changed that and the ports are working fine now. Thanks.

Totally-braindead 16:32 07 Aug 05

Should have thought of that!

mark2 16:34 07 Aug 05

it's the simple things we forget! :-)

woodchip 17:03 07 Aug 05

Scroll down to this if you have SIS chipset.

SiSUSBRG

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…