USB ports not working

luckydime 19:37 24 Jun 05

System:
Shuttle M / board
P4 chip
Win XP SP2

I recently installed an audigy soundcard that is a couple of years old into the one and only PCI slot. Recently I have noticed that the two USB ports on the front of the system are not working.
Whatever device I plug in claims that the 'one of the USB devices attached to the pc has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it!'

I have tried disabling the audigy card but this does not help. I am not sure that the sound card if definitely to blame it just seems a stange coincidence.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I can post the device manager USB section if that would help?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 24 Jun 05

Uninstall and reinstall ALL USB root hubs.

I doubt very much if sound card caused problem unless using same IRQ..

luckydime 16:52 26 Jun 05

Many thanks for your response.
It had occured to me that there might be an IRQ conflict, but other than knowing that these can occur I'm embarassed to admit that I dont know how to check this. Windows states that all devices are working ok.

On the point of reinstalling all the USB hubs. What is the best way to do this. My PC is also partioned. I have XP SP2 installed on both sides and the USB ports disply the same error message. Would this suggest that that either of the above is more likely or is there some other likely cause?

Many thanks

woodchip 17:27 26 Jun 05

The USB fuse as Gone. None replaceable on Motherboard. Mine as gone the same way. To find out you test from the back of the USB socket with a volt Meter, on the red wire it should be 5 Volts

woodchip 17:30 26 Jun 05

PS the above can be overcome by running a jumper wire with a fuse rated at 500ma from 5+ volts on the PSU motherboard socket to the Red wire on USB

luckydime 10:25 29 Jun 05

Many thanks Woodchip

This would seem to explain the problem, I think running a jumper wire is a little beyond me especially in a mini shuttle system so i think I might take the easy option and get a USB hub and just use the remaining sockets.

On another note pc is now freezing every time I use it again in both partitions! any connection with the above????

woodchip 10:31 29 Jun 05

No, Try running disc checker first, by double clicking on my computer right click on C:\ tools check drive. it could a faulty CPU fan causing overheating.

luckydime 13:17 29 Jun 05

Ok will try disk checker when i get back from work. I run mother board monitor in the background and the temps from that seem fine.

Do you still think it might be the CPU? I was wondering if it might be the power supply?

woodchip 14:11 29 Jun 05

Posible but have you tried system restore

luckydime 15:31 29 Jun 05

I didnt think that system restore would help as both operating systems are freezing. I though this is more likely to be a hardware problem. However i will give system restore a go.

Many thanks for your ongoing help woodchip,

woodchip 17:35 29 Jun 05

Then if you are dual booting its a Hardware Problem Ether heat related or PSU failing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…