usb ports not quick enough for ipod

patty38uk 20:56 16 Nov 05

Can any one help?

When ipod is connected to usb port i am getting a message telling me that the usb port is not "fast" enough.When I click on the message the i tunes programme seems to begin to start to import tunes frompc to ipod but then my pc shuts down.Any help would be gratefull,

Totally-braindead 21:16 16 Nov 05

Does your PC have USB 2.0? I believe the iPods need USB 2.0 and won't work properly with USB 1.1.

Totally-braindead 21:28 16 Nov 05

Have to go offline now but if this is the problem you could buy a USB 2.0 card such as this click here the only thing you would need to ensure it would work would be to make sure you have a free PCI slot in your PC (they are the white ones) if theres one with nothing in it and this is the problem then that would solve it.

Incidently I downloaded and looked at one of the iPod manuals it doesn't say it won't work with USB 1.1 but does recommend a USB 2.0 connection saying there could be problems with the older connection.

ade.h 21:46 16 Nov 05

Windows XP will nag you whenever you connect a 2.0 device to a 1.1 port. I believe the difference in speed is something like 40 times, so you can imagine why it's struggling.

patty38uk 13:36 18 Nov 05

Thanks for advise - I have had success with the port in the past but for some reason now it is not recognising it as a USB 2.0. How do I get windows xp to recognise that it is a faster port? It may be something I am doing - I am not very technically minded - I am trying to sort this out for my son!!!

GroupFC 13:48 18 Nov 05

Are plugging it in direct to the USB port or through a hub (as I have had a similar message when plugging a device in via a hub)?

To check that you have a usb 2.0, go to my computer>right click>properties>hardware>device manager and you should see usb controllers. If you expand that if you have USB 2.0 it should show up as "enhanced".

HTH

driving man 22:32 18 Nov 05

GroupFC that message should really only come up if using a series 1 hub on a series 2 port. Or am I wrong.Also have found that overloading a hub slows it down unless hub is powered

patty38uk 06:58 25 Nov 05

Thanks for all your suggestions - will try them this weekend. My apologies for being so slow but I am only "allowed" to sort the PC out when my son is not playing on it which is not very often.

GroupFC 08:55 25 Nov 05

" ...am only "allowed" to sort the PC out when my son is not playing on it...." - surely that the wrong way round!!

Mind you I know the problems - I have two boys (11 & 7) and its many the battle I've had with them about whose turn it is - but their Mum is an excellent referee!!

cyberphobic 09:10 25 Nov 05

My daughter had the same problem when she bought her IPOD, I bought one of these,click here - problem solved!

keef66 14:52 25 Nov 05

I just installed a USB 5 port PCI card in anticipation (£5 from e-buyer).Teenage sons getting Ipod and PSP respectively for christmas, and I didn't want to be frequenting PCWorld on boxing day!
Tell offspring that installation is a 5 minute job, and that it will revolutionise his life.
Better still, get him to fit it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…