usb ports not quick enough for ipod

patty38uk 20:56 16 Nov 05

Can any one help?

When ipod is connected to usb port i am getting a message telling me that the usb port is not "fast" enough.When I click on the message the i tunes programme seems to begin to start to import tunes frompc to ipod but then my pc shuts down.Any help would be gratefull,

Totally-braindead 21:16 16 Nov 05

Does your PC have USB 2.0? I believe the iPods need USB 2.0 and won't work properly with USB 1.1.

Totally-braindead 21:28 16 Nov 05

Have to go offline now but if this is the problem you could buy a USB 2.0 card such as this click here the only thing you would need to ensure it would work would be to make sure you have a free PCI slot in your PC (they are the white ones) if theres one with nothing in it and this is the problem then that would solve it.

Incidently I downloaded and looked at one of the iPod manuals it doesn't say it won't work with USB 1.1 but does recommend a USB 2.0 connection saying there could be problems with the older connection.

ade.h 21:46 16 Nov 05

Windows XP will nag you whenever you connect a 2.0 device to a 1.1 port. I believe the difference in speed is something like 40 times, so you can imagine why it's struggling.

patty38uk 13:36 18 Nov 05

Thanks for advise - I have had success with the port in the past but for some reason now it is not recognising it as a USB 2.0. How do I get windows xp to recognise that it is a faster port? It may be something I am doing - I am not very technically minded - I am trying to sort this out for my son!!!

GroupFC 13:48 18 Nov 05

Are plugging it in direct to the USB port or through a hub (as I have had a similar message when plugging a device in via a hub)?

To check that you have a usb 2.0, go to my computer>right click>properties>hardware>device manager and you should see usb controllers. If you expand that if you have USB 2.0 it should show up as "enhanced".

HTH

driving man 22:32 18 Nov 05

GroupFC that message should really only come up if using a series 1 hub on a series 2 port. Or am I wrong.Also have found that overloading a hub slows it down unless hub is powered

patty38uk 06:58 25 Nov 05

Thanks for all your suggestions - will try them this weekend. My apologies for being so slow but I am only "allowed" to sort the PC out when my son is not playing on it which is not very often.

GroupFC 08:55 25 Nov 05

" ...am only "allowed" to sort the PC out when my son is not playing on it...." - surely that the wrong way round!!

Mind you I know the problems - I have two boys (11 & 7) and its many the battle I've had with them about whose turn it is - but their Mum is an excellent referee!!

cyberphobic 09:10 25 Nov 05

My daughter had the same problem when she bought her IPOD, I bought one of these,click here - problem solved!

keef66 14:52 25 Nov 05

I just installed a USB 5 port PCI card in anticipation (£5 from e-buyer).Teenage sons getting Ipod and PSP respectively for christmas, and I didn't want to be frequenting PCWorld on boxing day!
Tell offspring that installation is a 5 minute job, and that it will revolutionise his life.
Better still, get him to fit it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…