USB Ports - How many are there?

TonyV 19:50 27 Nov 06

I had a look at Brickie999's post lower down and had a look at mine to see what I have hidden away!

In Device Manager, Universal Bus Controllers, I have 2 x SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller, 5 x USB Root hub, 2 x Via Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller and 1 x VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller.

Two my certain knowledge I have 2 USB 1 ports that were originally on my machine and 4 USB 2 that I added with a new card. Therefore, where does the 10 ports come from above and what can I do to get just those that are operating to be shown?

I have a scanner on one USB 2 Port, an Epson Printer and a Speedtouch modem also on the USB 2 ports. There is nothing connected to the USB 1 ports.

I must confess that when I have tried to download photos from my wifes camera, (I don't do photography myself, I'd sooner buy a postcard!)I always have problems getting Picassa to recognise the camera and have take out the scanner form its USB 2 port and insert the camera in the same port, to get it to see the camera after a restart.

Thanks

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 27 Nov 06

2 x SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
and 2 root hubs for the USB1 ports on the motherboard. 1 at the back and I suspect our bord has a USB header for two front ports (if fitted)

2x Via Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller and 2 root hubs for the 4 ports on the card.

Two ports share 1 controller

1 x VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller. to increase the card ports to USB2

TonyV 20:43 27 Nov 06

Thanks for that. I think what you are saying is that although I only have available to me the 4 USB2 plus the 2 USB1 on the back of the machine, (there are none on the front), there are some available on the MB to which I have no real access. Therefore, I should do nothing and leave as is.

Thanks

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 27 Nov 06

summed up nicely.

everything is fine.

TonyV 20:54 27 Nov 06

Many thanks

TonyV

Totally-braindead 20:59 27 Nov 06

You can buy a panel to fit on your PC which connects to the front header on the motherboard and that would give you 2 front USB ports. You must be careful wiring them though as if you do it wrong you can damage the motherboard.
They fit in either a 5.25" drive bay or a 3.5" drive bay, whichever you have free at the front. (Thats a spare slot where a CD Rom drive would fit or a spare slot where a floppy would fit.)
Theres a couple of examples here click here and other companies sell them as well but if you do want to connect to the USB header on the motherboard read the descriptions carefully as a lot of them work by feeding a USB cable through your PC and connecting to one of the rear ports. And of course if you buy one of these you would then lose the use of one of your existing rear ports.

Totally-braindead 21:00 27 Nov 06

Took me a while to type that, if you're not comfortable working inside your PC then its better you leave it and if you need ports at the front just buy a cheap USB hub.

TonyV 21:46 27 Nov 06

Thanks for your information, but I think I will leave as is because I still have 2 USB1 and 1 USB2 available to me at the back which I suspect will more than suffice for what I am likely to be doing.

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…