USB Ports Have Stopped Working

Young Ranger 23:20 30 Oct 05

Daughters PC at Uni is running Win XP, has a total of 6 USB ports. The four at the back are connected directly to the motherboard (IE not a PCI card) The two at the front connect separately but again directly to the mother board.

They were all working OK but all have now stopped. There is nothing in Device Manager to indicate a problem. She has since re-installed XP but without effect.

Any ideas please.

Nipsen 2 09:12 31 Oct 05

Sapins 09:16 31 Oct 05

Try removing and re-seating the connections on the motherboard.

Discharge static first.

recap 09:21 31 Oct 05

Try updating the drivers even though Device Manager says they are working fine.

Newuser4165 10:05 31 Oct 05

After reinstalling XP did she remember to reinstall SP2 - it has updated USB drivers.

€dstowe 11:11 31 Oct 05

USB, and most other peripherals, connect to the outside world via a motherboard fuse. If this has failed, there is not much you can do to repair it.

Try installing a USB PCI card if it's a desktop or a PCMCIA USB card if it's a laptop.

wee eddie 11:29 31 Oct 05

No seriously, the problem could have been caused by running too many USB powered devices.

I suspect that €dstowe may be on the right track

Glyn-252301 15:00 31 Oct 05

I had a pc that lost its usb ports every so often
and I had to go into bios to re-enable them. Never did find out the cause, the battery was ok. Maybe worth a look in the bios. If OK then I would go for €dstowe's answer.

Young Ranger 23:49 31 Oct 05

Many thanks for the replies. I've been out at work tonight so haven't been able to speak to her about it. Had a second hand message from her saying that the mouse and keyboard are now not working now. Does this indicate that the motherboard is about to die?

woodchip 23:52 31 Oct 05

As €dstowe

€dstowe 06:42 01 Nov 05

Keyboard and mouse are likewise connected through a fuse to the outside world - these are even more vulnerable than the USB ones.

Seems odd that this should happen and it may be something to do with the power control within the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…