USB Ports and External Drives

Dekka123 09:21 20 Jun 03

I would like to purchase a 20 gb external drive and wonder if it would operate on a USB 1 which I think mine are, My computer is a P3 and 2 years old and my o/s is windows XP Home. How can I tell if my USB ports are 1 or 2 and how do I go about upgrading them if I need to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HighTower 09:43 20 Jun 03

You can get hard drives that operate on USB, but they will be quite slow compared to firewire (which I use) or USB 2. Looking in the device manager dialogue box in the System part of Control Panel should tell you what the USB ports you have are.

It depends what you want to use the drive for, as USB 1 is substantially slower. I use mine purely for back up so speed isn't that important to me, although as it's firewire it isn't an issue anyway. You can buy a firewire card for around £35, and a USB 2 one for around the same. If your computer is 2 years old it's probably got USB1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…