USB Ports - dedicated?

g0slp 09:54 20 Jun 04

I've been connecting various devices to my laptop (Microstar 2200, Win XP Home), and have found that the link to my mobile (for GPRS/3G)and the link to a GPS (for position input to MS Autoroute) will only work if connected to specific USB ports. This is more an annoyance than anything else, but the machine has 4 USB ports (v2.0) & I thought that it didn't matter which one you used. Can anyone explain why this is happening, & if there's a 'fix'? Using the search facility here hasn't thrown anything up.

Thanks in advance, Mark

€dstowe 10:29 20 Jun 04

I have multiple USB ports on my machines such that some machines have, as well as the motherboard USB ports, one or two extra PCI USB cards. I find that if I attach a device to a USB connection where it hasn't been used before i.e. another USB controller chip, Windows sometimes recognises it as a new device and installs a second time.

Whether it should do this or not, I don't know but, it all works OK so I'm not going to worry.

€d

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 20 Jun 04

some devices such as modems (gps?) are assigned a virtual com port. Maybe this is what's happening to your GPS device and why it therefore requires the same USB port to be recognised

€dstowe 12:48 20 Jun 04

The devices in my case are printers - which can be just as picky as modems!

€d

Irishman 13:32 20 Jun 04

I have a scanner and bluetooth dongle, if they are changed around Windows refuses to recognise them.

g0slp 18:31 20 Jun 04

The phone is a modem, & it's likely that the GPS NMEA input has modem-like properties (although only 1 way), so it may very well be why this is happening.

Something else learned!

Regards, Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…