USB ports acting independently HELP!!!!!

parapilot 22:09 01 May 06

Hi All,

I have a problem with a new laptop i have just bought. It has a number of USB ports. I have installed my USB hardware onto the laptop no problems, all working, until I plug the device into a different USB port that the one I installed on, it then starts the "Found New Hardware" wizard and then failed to install the device ("The device could not be started"). It will not work on any other USB port, but when I plug it back into the port i installed the device on, all works ok. All my other PC's the devices work on any USB port, regardless of which one i installed on.

How can I fix this problem, or do i need to install each piece of hardware on every port!!??

Thank You
Jamie.

woodchip 22:12 01 May 06

Yes that's what happens. It's OK nothing wrong with it. you should try to use the same port for each item or items

parapilot 22:48 01 May 06

This will be an issue, as the laptop has a base station. When the laptop is in this base station, the loptops usb ports are covered off (so nothing can be placed into them) and you need to use the ports on the base station.

The CD rom is also in the base station, so i cant install the drivers into the laptops usb ports, as the laptop itself has no CDrom.

Anyway i can do an install to all ports, or link them to share drivers?

Thanks
Jamie.

DieSse 23:23 01 May 06

Some devices seem to need to be always on the same port, some not.

I just installed a new Dell laptop for a friend, with a port replicator - and the port replicator was very fussy about always being in the same USB port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…