USB ports

fazer 13:28 02 May 06

I know this is probably a daft question but its really infuriating me ....

I have a joystick which for some considerable time have kept plugged into a particular USB port. I now want to swap USB ports but I can not get the computer to "recognise" it - even the "new hardware" wizard does not not open.

I'm using XP's built in drivers and have tried to manually configure the USB for the joystick using the "add new hardware wizard" all to no joy.

Any idears please?

rawprawn 13:33 02 May 06

Start/My Computer/Properties/Hardware Tab/Device Manager look at your USB connections, are there any Yellow Question marks

fazer 13:37 02 May 06

No there is'nt.

rawprawn 15:25 02 May 06

Is the USB integral to the computer or on a Hub. If its integral check that the USB card is seated properly.

rawprawn 15:26 02 May 06

Also I should have asked, is it shown in the device manager.

woodchip 15:47 02 May 06

Try this, Plug the Joy stick in, Then go to Device Manager remove all the USB starting from bottom of list then restart your computer with the stick in the port you want to use

€dstowe 16:27 02 May 06

Why do you want to change the port it is plugged into?

If you don't have a good reason, it would be best to leave things as they were.

fazer 18:49 02 May 06

Sorry for the delay in replying:

I want to change hubs because the one I have using is on the front of the machine and now the machine is placed the nearer the ground the flippin' kids keep kicking it!

The joystick does not show in device manager.

Woodchip: what do you mean remove all the USB?

woodchip 22:48 02 May 06

In Device Manager at bottom of list you will see USB click on the + so you see them all. right click each intern and choose uninstall. Then restart you computer it will reset all USB's. If you have the stick plugged into the one you want to use

fazer 14:48 03 May 06

Thanks Woodchip - I'll try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…