USB ports 1&2

rawprawn 10:23 24 Oct 03

How can I tell the difference between USB 1 & USB 2. I only have two ports on my computer & I have no idea whether they are 1 or 2. Does it make a difference.

yes it makes a difference,

the markings for usb1&2 are different and your motherboard manual will tell you what it supports.

but then if for now you are only plugging USB1 devices in then there will be no difference, and USB2 devices will run in a USB1 channel just slower.

Gongoozler 10:30 24 Oct 03

The only way to be sure is to look at the motherboard manual. don't think it makes any difference which port you use unless the motherboard shares a port. I don't know of any instances of this happening with ports 1 & 2, but a motherboard I recently fitted had port 4 shared with a socket for an internal card reader.

Gongoozler 10:34 24 Oct 03

Aah, I think we have a confusion here. Are we talking about ports number 1 & 2, in which case my answer is the right one, or USB type 1 & 2, in which case horiz5 has given the right answer.

rawprawn 11:20 24 Oct 03

Thankyou guys, I am talking about USB types but I have a Dell computer which only supplied a solution guide book so there is no motherboard manual. If I look inside at the motherboard will I be able to tell.I think that I am only plugging in USB1 devices but I am not certain, do some devices such as printers for example offer either USB 1 or USB 2 plug ins.

Gongoozler 13:20 24 Oct 03

Hi rawprawn. Look in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers (of whatever your version of Windows calls them). If you have USB 2 then it should be there. There are a few USB 2 devices on the market now, but I think most are still USB 1. I haven't seen any USB 2 printers, but some scanners are a USB 2. As far as I know, if any of the motherboard USB ports are USB 2, then they all are.

rawprawn 13:40 24 Oct 03

Hi & thankyou, I looked in the device manager. It just shows 2 usb's both listed as 82801BA/BAM & universal host controllers.I am now convinced that I only have USB type 1 on my computer. It isn't that important to me, but if I can learn more about the things I don't understand about my computer I feel that I am gradually increasing my knowledge & ability. I find computers like giant crosswords, only the difference is you can never solve them.

Gongoozler 16:43 24 Oct 03

Hi rawprawn. Unfortunately most of the mysteries of computers are in the minds of software writers - and that's worrying (with apologies to any software writers out there).

the 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) has only USB1 controllers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…