usb ports

charlton200 21:24 24 Aug 03

hi,
i have a evesham computer(m.e).i use the usb ports on the back ok. but the 2 on the front i get nothing from,is there something wrong with the computer or am i doing some thing wrong.
thanks.
charlton.

The Sack 21:29 24 Aug 03

The ones on the front are probably not wired up, open the case and take a look

charlton200 22:02 24 Aug 03

i won't be able to look till tomorrow,and if you are right is a simple job or best left to evesham.
is it practice not to wire them up or should they have been done.i find i am now in need of the 2 extra usb points.<p>

many thanks...charlton.

The Sack 23:02 24 Aug 03

Each USB port has 4 wires going to it, it is just a case of getting them in the right order (presuming they are not aready in a block) once you have the side off you will be able to see what model the motherboard is and then be able to get the manual for it to confirm where the USB headers are and what the order of the wires is, it is very simple to do. Just remember to turn the PC off and cut the power at the socket but leave the plug in to keep it earthed.

bfc_tangerine 15:19 25 Aug 03

If you are decide to do this yourself and don't have a manual for the motherboard, simply follow the wiring pattern for the rear ports that work ok (they are connected together in the right order!). A friend with a torch and small fingers can be a bonus doing this.

howard60 16:27 25 Aug 03

and actually read the manual - boy am I a sado - mine has to have the bios set for 2, 4 or 6 usb ports. It might be your problem.

charlton200 16:59 25 Aug 03

hi,thanks for your replys,
i have taken the side of computer off.
looking at the usb from the inside,i have one connection on the right side of the plate (looking from the inside), and that is connected to what i would think is the mother board.there is a place on the left side plate on the usb with no connection on,i dont know if this is right or not,all i no is i have 2 usb ports in the front and neither of them work.many thanks...charlton

bfc_tangerine 18:52 25 Aug 03
  Spark6 19:04 25 Aug 03

The Sack
Re leaving the plug in the socket and switching off! If an RCD is fitted in the consumer unit, and the socket has a single pole switch, there is a distinct possibilty of tripping the RCD by earthing the neutral.

Mick248 19:15 25 Aug 03

I know that MSI boardsdo not have their front USB ports connected due to the audio needing the ports etc. If there is space the order you need to wire up is Red White Green Black. The black should go nearest the extra pin. Obviously 1's on one line and 2's on the other. If your not confident then don't do it as if they are wrong it can fry your board.
Hope this was some help.

wee eddie 21:16 25 Aug 03

Were front USB Ports specified.

I know that the standard Evesham case has front USB ports but certain models may not necessarily have this facility installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…