USB port problem

m800afc 05:20 09 Jan 08

I have a PCI card with four USB ports, on the back of my computer. Recently the ports are failing to recognise any device plugged into them. The balloon indicating that a device is present still comes on, but tells me the device is not recognised. Using the device manager it appears that all ports are working properly. Could it be a problem with the PCI card or the MOBO?
The PCI card is a generic card of unknown make. My MOBO is an ASRock 775VM800. I am using XP pro. I don't want to take the computer apart, but will do if I have to. In the meantime is there an easy way of diagnosing the problem?

€dstowe 07:52 09 Jan 08

Are these USB ports used for attaching drives - any type, hard, optical, flash?

If so do you always use the "Safely remove hardware" facility provided in Windows?

The effect you describe seems very much like that which you get when the port has been destroyed by removing hardware in the incorrect way i.e. just unplugging it rather than going through the right procedure.

USB may well be plug 'n' play but it certainly is not UNplug 'n' play and it is easy to wreck the port connection, the USB device (or both) by using the incorrect connect/disconnect method.

m800afc 10:40 09 Jan 08

As far as I know, the proper disconnect procedure has been followed. The problem remains, how do I diagnose what the fault is and where it occurs?

^wave^ 11:09 09 Jan 08

i would suspect the card try and relaod the drivers first then try another pci slot

try disconnecting the pc fully from power,ie shut down windows and remove power lead,leave for 30mins and boot up again.
This can rectify the problem,worth a shot first off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 09 Jan 08

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or

USB Permissions
Start - Run and type
regedit
Press OK.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.
Right click on the folder and pick permissions. Set to ALLOW.
Do the same for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant