Usb port problem

louandel 19:02 10 Oct 05

I have just aquired a scanner which came with its own USB cable. Different to what I have seen before. Usual ends but thick and silver with two small cylanders at each end (actually on wire.)It states on it is high speed. Would not work in my usb 2.0 hub and I had to plug it directly into the back of the computer. Yet when I did a little bubble came up at the bottem of the scereen saying my device would work faster if i plugged it into a 2.0 usb hub! The hubs ports are definately all working correctly.

Any ideas?

louandel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 10 Oct 05

not work in my usb 2.0 hub

Scanners can be quite power hungry and use all the 500mA available from a port and therefore if plugged into a hub, may fail to work or cause other devices on the hub to fail.

Plug direct to a USB2 card or get a powered hub

Diemmess 19:23 10 Oct 05

Using Fruit Bat /\0/\'s point, it seems that in order to reduce purchase price, any gadget which can get away with it, is now marketed without its own power supply.

As already said the long term answer would be to buy a USB2 with powered hub and space to hang something else on as well.

The two little cylinders are probably RFI suppressors, you may have seen one on some CRT data cables for the same reason.

Hamish 19:31 10 Oct 05

Just a simple little point - Do you have a USB2 card in your computer or just a USB 2 hub

woodchip 20:10 10 Oct 05

Sounds like the USB ports in the Computer are only USB1 You could fit a USB2 PCI card. Is this XP you are running on a Old Computer? if so that is why thay are USB1 ports

BRYNIT 20:11 10 Oct 05

May be a silly question but do you have USB2 on your computer also did you connect it to the front or rear USB port.

I tried a USB2 HD in the front connection of my mothers computer and came up with a similar message, tried the connection at the back and it worked. I found that the front port was only working as USB 1.1

bremner 20:19 10 Oct 05

If your USB is onboard then it is normally necessary to enable USB2 in the BIOS - have you done so?

louandel 20:23 10 Oct 05

thanx for all your help. i think my computer has usb1. and prob a powered usb or different card would be the answer.

woodchip 20:26 10 Oct 05

powered usb Will not work as USB2 if it's plugged into a USB1. You need a USB2 PCI card for any USB2 to work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…