USB port not working

square eyes 22:52 25 Feb 03

I recently have done a repair of my XP and have discovered that quite a few things stop working afterwards. Mostly a case of installing drivers. I have a problem though, there are 4 USB ports at the back (2x2), 2 seem to be working but other 2 don't, or at least it won't detect anything's been plugged in. (Oh my, how does this happen?)

How do i resolve this?, could it be advanced port settings?? (stab in the dark)

Be grateful for any ideas

Ta

ellas 23:04 25 Feb 03

any problems showing up in device manager.

LastChip 23:06 25 Feb 03

It's probably one of the USB controllers not working.

If you have re-loaded the operating system, it is likely for some reason, the drivers are not loading for one of the controllers. Each controller, controls a pair of USB ports.

Go into Device Manager, and see if you have any exclamation or question marks over the USB section.

If so, try re-loading the drivers first, and if that doesn't help, come back to us.

square eyes 23:27 25 Feb 03

Hi and thanks. Device manager is showing no problems (exclamation mark) I do remember going in to advanced port settings but didn't think i had altered anything. I was having problems with the modem and seeked an answer there. I would try and correct it if i knew what i was doing, but it does sound like that could be the location???

square eyes 23:28 25 Feb 03

Forget that, that was in modem properties. :(

Any sugestions?

square eyes 23:31 25 Feb 03

I should think carefully before i send.
It was working after the repair, This has happened since a SP1 installation and a scandisk operation

LastChip 22:43 02 Mar 03

When you go into "Device Manager", do you see TWO "USB Root Hubs"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…