usb port not working?

algo mas 17:07 20 Mar 08

I havea medion computer [approx 3years old].

One of the front usb ports does not seem to be working.
If I connect a usb storage dongle it flashes but nothing happens. If I go to "my computer" and click on the dongle a box comes up and states " insert a disc into drive L".

If I plug a card reader in [with sd card] and allow the windows box to show ["what do you want to do"] then I can load the photos on to the hard drive. However if I go to "my computer" and click the sd card in the card reader a box shows with "Insert a disk into drive L"
What can I do please?
Thanks.

woodchip 17:17 20 Mar 08

Does it work in the back ones? the front ones are connected by cable to motherboard plug or header pins

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 20 Mar 08

First switch off and plug in a PS2 keyboard / mouse as refreshing the ports will loose the HID device that works your wireless keyboard

Then

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 17:20 20 Mar 08

PS if it's like one of my medions the USB is in a front bay pabel along with sound etc. mine was a Faulty Panel and stopped the computer booting, until it was replaced

algo mas 10:51 22 Mar 08

Thanks to all for help.

Only one of the usb ports on the front panel is not working. All the others are fine.My worry is that I will do something and not be able to use my computer.
I will go and find a PS2 mouse meanwhile..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:00 22 Mar 08

Assume this is on the card reader. three connection check they are all pushed home fully on the motherboard.

Cables are tight as they can round round the rear of the second hard drive.

woodchip 15:29 22 Mar 08

It took's like a port is faulty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now