USB port for keyboard says Power exceded

nerawan 17:23 06 Aug 12

Hi. Nearly 3 weeks ago I disconnected the usb keyboard. (it was at the back) then I connected to the front but sometimes it doesn't work. I get a message "power surge on hub port. A usb device has exceded the power.....". What can I do to solve this problem. it doesn't matter if I connected to the front or the back.

KRONOS the First 18:25 06 Aug 12

This might be a rather nasty problem,have a look here, particularly the last post. Click Here.

Bris 19:31 06 Aug 12

Faulty keyboard or its plug.

Try another keyboard.

spuds 19:37 06 Aug 12

Not sure if this 100% correct, but I was told once that the rear USB ports are direct from the board, and any others are 'additions', and as such do not carry the same power ratio. Bit like USB1-USB2 I suppose?.

Bris 20:40 06 Aug 12

Just a bit of info:

Each USB port is capable of supplying 500ma current. The ones on the backplane are connected directly to the motherboard. The ones on the front are usually connected by means of a cable to headers on the motherboard so in effect are also connected to the motherboard. Power problems usually arise when connecting an unpowered hub to a port as the power available on each hub port is divided by the number of ports e.g. a 4 port hub has 125ma available on each port.

The problem in this thread would appear to be associated with the amount of power being drawn from a port exceeds the 500ma max and its just a guess but this could be due to an electrical short in either the keyboard, its cable, or the plug or a fault in the keyboard electrics.

nerawan 12:49 07 Aug 12

The problem basically started when I removed the keyboard without using the "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE" option. Not only I'm having problems with the keyboard but the mouse too when I removed it and change position. A year ago I have a similar problem with a NEW external hard drive. Can someone give some light about the importance of using the "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE". Thanks

KRONOS the First 12:56 07 Aug 12

You can remove a mouse and keyboard without going through the "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE" routine as it does not really apply. Here is a bit of info.Microsoft.

Bris 21:10 07 Aug 12

You could try the solution suggested here click here

Does this problem occur only when you plug a device into a port when the PC is powered up?

Bris 21:23 07 Aug 12

In addition, if you Google "power surge on usb port" there are a number of suggested solutions which you might like to try rather than me repeating them here.

With regard to your question on "safely remove" this relates to data and your problem is power related so that devices that dont store data such as keyboard and mice can be removed without concern.

nerawan 14:52 11 Aug 12

Thanks Bris. Problem solved. I just did what you suggested. I had only to remove the power cord.

Bris 08:57 13 Aug 12

Glad to be of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…