USB Port keeps dropping conection

Just recently my broadband connection kept dropping, now the mouse will not respond when connection dropped.

Both units are connected to USB port, I have done nothing to the machine and cannot figure out why it keeps happening, it was area at one time, now it happens 1 or twice a day.

Could it be a cooling problem? Not too sure why I ask this, as the side panel is not secured so big air gap - machine is not supercharged.

Oh to get over this abnnoying problem

thanks for listening

Djohn 15:47 11 Nov 03

Sounds as though your running too much from your USB port. Broadband modems tend to draw the full 500ma current and using other USB hardware at the same time may cause drop-out of the connection.

This can be solved very easy by purchasing a self powered USB hub, about £20.00 and connecting your broadband through this. it will give you four ports in total and you will be able to use the other three at the same time as your B/B. You can also carry on using your existing USB connectors for other items. j.

Thanks,

have a 4 port hub on monitor that usb connections are to.

Thing is it seems top drop when nothing happening at the machine - will try a powered hub and see if that works

thanks again

spuds 19:38 11 Nov 03

Using a self powered USB hub is sound advice,but be a little wary, that all equipment and devices do not always work with total satisfaction via this method. I had a few problems with scanners and card readers, and after seeking further manufacturers advice, it was found that the way USB was used, caused the problem. Trial and error soon solved the issue.Some worked better with the self powered hub,others did not, so it was a case of direct computer socket installation.

Djohn 19:45 11 Nov 03

Good point there spuds, I've just come back to the thread and noticed hil26 is using the non-powered hub from the monitor, [I'm assuming it's non-powered] and as you say, a direct connection to the Motherboard may help. j.

many thanks for sound advise

Check in Device Manager, USB hub, Action, Properties, Power. The 500ma Djohn mentions is available per hub, each hub normally has two ports. If the mouse and modem are on the same hub, split them up.

Watdoc2 11:14 14 Nov 03

New self-powered Belkin 4-port USB2.0 hub was working well until the enforced system restore (another story!). Now the power LED light is on while there is absolutely no response from the USB ports. I've tried plugging the thing in each of the 5 usb ports on my machine to no avail.

What should I do next?

Start a new subject? :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…