USB Port installation problems

PJ8 21:11 08 Aug 03

Have bought today a USB 2-Port PCI card, but Windows 98 is not recognising the new hardware on installation. There isn't an exact equivalent to be chosen manually from the list of new hardware, so I'm having problems. Any suggestions?

PJ8 21:30 08 Aug 03

I should have said the Manufacturer was Belkin

SEASHANTY 21:39 08 Aug 03

Windows 98 will not recognise USB2 because it wasn't out when Windows 98 was released. Even Windows XP did not come with drivers for USB2 when originally released. These have been added in the SP1 update to Windows XP. You could check the Microsoft website for USB2 drivers for W98 or ask Belkin how to get W98 to support this card. Sorry I do not have the exact answer to this one.

PJ8 21:53 08 Aug 03

It is actually a USB1 port, not USB2.It does say on the box that it is w98 compatible.

SEASHANTY 22:09 08 Aug 03

The main support for USB came in with Windows 98SE and I believe that some PC's with W98 could get this
USB1 depending on their particular system hardware. See if you can find anything about this on the USB help site at click here Also there are a few more help sites. Just go on Google.co.uk and enter in the search field "USB help" (without the inverted commas). If Belkin say its compatible then it should work. Try also removing the card then reinserting it again - try another PCI slot if you have one. Pity Belkin did not supply a driver disc with the install.exe programme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…