USB port configs.

Joey D 21:24 25 May 04

My new pc has 4 USB ports. Do I need to register my digital camera all 4 before I can use it in any of them? I know this may be simple to you folks but its news to me! Thanks in advance.

stalion 21:27 25 May 04

no you just use the one connection

Joey D 21:31 25 May 04

Stalion, Thanks. So I use each port dedicated to a specific piece of kit?

stalion 21:32 25 May 04

you can use the four connections for four different things.Regards

Joey D 21:46 25 May 04

Sorry about the repeat messages, this touch pad is very sensitive. Getting back to the thread......I realise I can use different kit in each port but what I,m trying to establish is... if I register my camera in port 1, will it work in port 2/3/4/5 or will I need to register it in port 2/3/4/5 ? Hope this explains better.

woodchip 21:49 25 May 04

If you put the camera in a different USB port it will ask you to load the drivers again. So use the same port

Joey D 21:57 25 May 04

That ,s what I needed to know. Thanks.

basell 22:40 25 May 04

I have just connected my camera into all my USB ports and everything worked ok, I didn’t have to load any drivers.

daba 01:02 26 May 04

It is not necessary to commit a USB port to specific devices, it does what is says on the tin "Universal Serial Bus"

Windows has to create a registry entry for each device as and when it is attached to each USB port for the first time only.

If, like me, you have 2 front ports, 2 rear ports, and a 4-port hub plugged into a rear port, then as you plug-and-pray your multitude of USB devices in and out you will see Windows add the device to its internals whenever it sees a 'new' device on that port.

So for the above example I have 7 available USB connections, and lets say I have 8 USB devices, in total, Windows could 'see' 7x8=56 devices.

After a period of time you will probably fill in all the permutations, and then the plug-and-play will be seamless and smooth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…