USB port configs.

Joey D 21:24 25 May 04

My new pc has 4 USB ports. Do I need to register my digital camera all 4 before I can use it in any of them? I know this may be simple to you folks but its news to me! Thanks in advance.

stalion 21:27 25 May 04

no you just use the one connection

Joey D 21:31 25 May 04

Stalion, Thanks. So I use each port dedicated to a specific piece of kit?

stalion 21:32 25 May 04

you can use the four connections for four different things.Regards

Joey D 21:46 25 May 04

Sorry about the repeat messages, this touch pad is very sensitive. Getting back to the thread......I realise I can use different kit in each port but what I,m trying to establish is... if I register my camera in port 1, will it work in port 2/3/4/5 or will I need to register it in port 2/3/4/5 ? Hope this explains better.

woodchip 21:49 25 May 04

If you put the camera in a different USB port it will ask you to load the drivers again. So use the same port

Joey D 21:57 25 May 04

That ,s what I needed to know. Thanks.

basell 22:40 25 May 04

I have just connected my camera into all my USB ports and everything worked ok, I didn’t have to load any drivers.

daba 01:02 26 May 04

It is not necessary to commit a USB port to specific devices, it does what is says on the tin "Universal Serial Bus"

Windows has to create a registry entry for each device as and when it is attached to each USB port for the first time only.

If, like me, you have 2 front ports, 2 rear ports, and a 4-port hub plugged into a rear port, then as you plug-and-pray your multitude of USB devices in and out you will see Windows add the device to its internals whenever it sees a 'new' device on that port.

So for the above example I have 7 available USB connections, and lets say I have 8 USB devices, in total, Windows could 'see' 7x8=56 devices.

After a period of time you will probably fill in all the permutations, and then the plug-and-play will be seamless and smooth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now