USB port broken, brand new laptop!

Re-staw 06:12 17 Aug 12

I purchased a Lenovo E530 laptop about a month ago and cannot be more pleased with the machine however today after removing my USB mouse I noticed the plastic pin divider came out with it. The mouse is rarely removed from the port as it stays on a desk and so I can see no reason why it should have came loose so easily.

I called up Lenovo support and they informed me that this was not covered under warranty. I will now have to pay the cost of repair myself and I have i get the feeling from reading up that this is no simple fix.

Is this fair? What can I do?

spuds 07:12 17 Aug 12

If you purchased the laptop from a retailer, and you live in the UK, then its their responsibility to check the laptop and make the necessary arrangement, not Lenovo. Dealing direct with Lenovo could limit your powers under UK consumer.

Have you tried seeking help from the retailer, if you purchased the item that way?.

Re-staw 07:36 17 Aug 12

I am actually in Australia at the moment on a working holiday and purchased the laptop direct from Lenovo's website.

They said they would send somebody to look at it as long as it was covered but the guy went on to say it was not on the 'list' of known issues and therefore could not do anything to help me.

I feel completely ripped off :(

spuds 08:08 17 Aug 12

Have you done any investigation as to see if the problem is known, or just taking the manufacturer's word for it, that there isn't a 'known' problem.

I tend to find that the type of damage mentioned, could well be a human problem, and perhaps not a component failure, and only an engineer's report will or should agree with the true cause of the problem.

Re-staw 10:11 17 Aug 12

I can assure you that great care has been taken especially since this is a new laptop. I had my old laptop for 6 years and this never happened.

rdave13 10:23 17 Aug 12

Found this, not good reading. If the port still works then I'd try a small USB extention lead and leave that connected , so that you can connect and disconnect from the extension. Would have thought that Lenovo would have been more sympathetic though.

Re-staw 11:39 17 Aug 12

Purely out of principle I will not settle for an extension, I will be pursuing them and evaluating all of my options before paying for the repair out of my own pocket.

I'm shocked that they can so easily deny responsibility...

rdave13 23:52 17 Aug 12

Re-staw, wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

shaszah 02:31 23 Aug 12

Hi there Just letting u know I also have an e530 Lenovo and my USB port has done the same thing. The yellow USB port on the side of the laptop is broken. I am currenty waiting for a call back from Lenovo about the issue to see if it will be covered by warranty. My e530 was only three weeks old when this happened and the USB port in question was the first time it was used. I'm thinking it could be a manufacturing fault with this model. We should band together and maybe will have more pull. I will be sure to mention this when Lenovo call me. Regards shane

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…