usb plug tech help

Smokeyone 15:09 23 Sep 05

Hello
After trying for weeks to get my gps system working on a laptop with no luck. Lost signal, usb not found etc etc while at the same time the usb plug in antenna flashing led saying all is okay I have found the answer.
Gently touch the usb plug and all is well. It's not the plug itself so it must be the laptop socket but the same socket is okay with printers etc. Has anyone any ideas how to permantly solve the problem. I suppose I could take the laptop apart to install a new socket but hope there is a plan b.
Are there any other sockets on a laptop that I could use that might be better if I get a usb plug adapter.
Thanks in hope
Smokeyone

zarobian 15:21 23 Sep 05

Have you discounted the possiblity of the usb plug and not the socket itself.

USB Pin 1 carrys 5V and ground is on pin 4.

I hope you have also enabled the USB Legacy devices in BOIS.

Z

zarobian 15:24 23 Sep 05

ADDIN: Is there only one USB Socket? Sure you have more than one. Try the other scoket please.

Z

Smokeyone 05:19 24 Sep 05

Thanks for the replies. I do have other sockets and one is okay and one has the same problem.
I assume I would have the same problem again in a few weeks with the okay socket - is the problem odd, can a socket wear like this in a matter of a few months....

Smokeyone

De Marcus™ 05:34 24 Sep 05

pci firewire card at pcworld is slightly cheaper than maplins and might be more conviently located.

De Marcus™ 05:35 24 Sep 05

'conveniently' was the word i was after!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…