usb pcmia card help !

towzer 16:33 28 Jan 08

Ok ive had problems getting my usb ports runing.

Am i correc thtinking i can buy a pcmia card that will let me use a usb through that ? there doesnt look like there is any power coming from the usb port and i dotn have p2 port ?

Can someon pleas poitn me in the right direction as to where i can buy a model that wil lwork on a dell d600 ?

Look forward to your response

Thnaks in advance

woodchip 16:50 28 Jan 08
  woodchip 16:52 28 Jan 08

It may not work as USB 2 depends on your computer and Operating System. You can only try it. Check if there are USB 2 drivers with it

towzer 16:53 28 Jan 08

how do i do that mate ?

towzer 16:53 28 Jan 08

iam running xp home edition

woodchip 16:58 28 Jan 08

check the details of the card XP will run USB 2. How old the Computer?

towzer 17:00 28 Jan 08

Sorry its a dell d600 its about 4/5 years old

The link you just gave me, how are they powered is it when you put them in the pc card slot ? am i right in thinking some of them are powered by the usb slots themselves ?

woodchip 17:12 28 Jan 08

Yes it will work from slot, but most can have a External Mains adapter plugged in, there will or should be a 5 volts jack in the card to connect to.

The USB on your Laptop try this to get them working.

Go to My Computer Right click on it Properties\Hardware\Device Manager, go to bottom of list, you will see USB expand the + then starting from bottom of USB uninstall them all then restart your computer for it to find and reset USB

towzer 17:16 28 Jan 08

thanks mate

Ive tried that and still nothing, i am not sure if they are fitted properly as ive had problems with the modems and i bought the laptop off some numptey from ebay who is useless and had me off ! can you help me with this while your here ?
Ive just signed up for broadband manx telecom is the provider as i live inthe isle of man
Can you tell me what i need to go wireless
The laptop had wi fi & lan ?

Cheers

woodchip 23:00 28 Jan 08

You need to buy a ADSL Wireless Modem\Router, But to set it up you have to use the Ethernet cable, normally supplied with the above before you setup you wireless connection, click here

We all have our favourite

Switcher 05:41 29 Jan 08

You can buy a PCMCIA> usb card which will not only upgrade a laptop with usb1 to usb2 but also give you four usb slots. costs about £12.00. I bought one for my daughter's laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…