USB and other drives

TamiZ 17:33 13 Nov 05

I run Windows XP (with SP2) on my computer. I have recently been given a Belkin 256Mb flash drive pen to provide additional storage space for my computer. This is connected to my computer via a USB cable.

My problem is that when i go into "My Computer", it does not identify that I have added another storage device. The only devices it recognises are A (floppy disk), cC (hard drive) and D and E (both CD drives). however, if I go into control panel and removable devices, I can pick up the flash drives which comes up as Drive J. There are also apparently Drives F, G, H, and I, which must be within the base unit somewhere but unused, but these also don't show up on "My Computer".

Then when I copy files onto the flash pen I am unable to read files direct off it - I get a message telling me that the files have to be copied onto the computer to be read from within the application. However, using another computer, the files can be opened and manipulated whilst still on the device.

also, when copying files onto a RW-CD, they cannot be read by another computer - the programme i have on computer is EasyCD Creator. I originally had NeroCD but this wouldn't work on my computer, let alone any other.

Anybody out there know how i can remedy these 'small' problems? Thanks

woodchip 17:39 13 Nov 05

check all usb enabled in bios, and plug and play

TamiZ 16:48 14 Nov 05

Thanks woodchip - how do I do this. my knowledge of getting into that sort of thing is a little limited.

woodchip 19:19 14 Nov 05

When you start your computer it will tell you what key to press to enter Setup = BIOS. Instructions on using BIOS bottom right. You do not have a mouse in BIOS you use the keyboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…