usb or ethernet

tanzanite 18:41 24 Jun 03

which of the two should i use to connect cable modem to pc for installing b band.have been advised to use usb but mainly cause its easier to install,but as i can use either im wondering which is the better of the two.

Legolas 19:05 24 Jun 03

I used USB to install my NTL BB but I discovered it caused a conflict with my USB scanner so I changed to ethernet. If you have no conflicts then USB is fine.

PSF 19:06 24 Jun 03

Personally I would recommend using a ethernet card.
USB uses more of the pc's resources and can cause conflicts with some other usb devices.

I tried to set-up a usb connection for a friend with NTL. I had a lot of problems with it. I then used an ethernet card and it then worked ok.

When I rang NTL they also prefer network cards to USB connections. The person I spoke to said they have a lot of software conflicts with USB.

tanzanite 19:23 24 Jun 03

Thanks for replying,i thought that, its currently on usb as the booklet supplied said ntl recommends usb as its quick but it dosnt seem to be running at its best.had promblems installing as it kept detecting ethernet card so i disabled it,can i change over to ethernet any advice on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

PSF 19:33 24 Jun 03

It was a while ago when I set up my friends system. If you click here and read A15's advice you will should be up and running.

When I set mine up I used Ethernet straight away. When I replace my pc I did not run the set up I just entered all of the details for Outlook and it worked ok.

PSF 19:35 24 Jun 03

ps. have you sorted out your Norton problem yet?

Andybear 20:25 24 Jun 03

I have usb with my NTL broadband and have had no problems / conflicts. One of my friends has Ethernet with his. He's surfed the net on mine and can't see any difference in the speed.

tanzanite 20:42 24 Jun 03

YES norton is fine but still disabling on startup,i have just made the change to ethernet and can notice a big change in the speed.

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…