USB Nuisance problem

Drpeter 10:09 12 Mar 04

USB Nuisance problem.
When I disconnect my digital camera, or portable MP3 player from the USB connection - whether by switching the device off, or physically removing the cable - the screen first goes black, then blue and a message appears from Windows - "Volume had open file on it. Next time check first." or similar. Then: "Press any key", which returns me to the Desktop. In fact, I only disconnect when NO action is taking place. Can anyone suggest a method of disconnecting without the dire warning, please?

Processor AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Memory 512MB RAM
HDD 40 Gb 7200 rpm
OS (Win98 SE) Version 4.10.2222A
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123
Windows Media Player 9.00.00.2980
MSN Messenger 6.0.0602
ECS Mainboard K7S5A

Big Elf 10:26 12 Mar 04

You should have a 'safely remove hardware' icon in the system tray. Double click on that, select the device and click stop.

Gemma 10:54 12 Mar 04

Windows ME and up (the ones that have native support for removable memory devices) have a service "hot plug or safely remove hardware" that appears in the tray (bottom right of the task bar, a left green arrow over a rectangle)). This, when clicked, prepares the item for removal by ensuring that it is not in use and has any data flushed. I do not know if the support you installed for the MP3 player (for example) included a similar feature.

Adding a USB device will normally cause the system to check all the other devices, this is normal.

Sethhaniel 10:58 12 Mar 04

The safe removal button is only on 2000 upwards
my '98 didn't warn me showed no sign if I unplugged but then would hang on closedown if a USB memory stick had been used in the session

Sethhaniel 11:13 12 Mar 04

it puts a file Winampa in the running tasks
that checks other drives (A floppy,) for media
see if thats running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac