usb not working. New one installed

2CV6 11:15 07 Dec 04

Hi all, my motherboard is a PA-2013 and has the older usb1 connection. I've just bought a new epsoncx6600 printer/scanner/copier and it can use the newer usb2 system. I bought a D link DUB-A2 2 port card and installed it ok, then the pc started playing up and eventually would not load at all. Went to safe mode and disabled the usb2 in dev manager and all is now ok. The error message when booting insafe mode via the xp cd rom stated "irql not less or equal". What do I do now? I'd like to be able to run a printer/scanner faster. Thanks 2cv6.

Technotiger 11:23 07 Dec 04

Hi, although your new item is usb2 capable that does not necessarily mean it will work any faster. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm this.

2CV6 11:32 07 Dec 04

Hi, my old printer was an epson 480 colour stylus and went at its set speeds, this one is more modern and can print more pages per minute. I'm told by the sellers that it will work at the old usb1 speed and that to get it to do more p/p/minute I need the usb2 cable and card. It would be nice to get the computer to accept the new card and usb2 system, but the error thrown up seems to indicate that something else has to be improved to do this, I'm suspecting the motherboard, power. Don't know and would take your advice before altering anything. Thanks 2cv6.

Technotiger 11:40 07 Dec 04

Hi again, I think you may have been given a bit of salesman spiel about speed of printer. However, you can check whether your pc is usb2 capable by going to Devices and looking in the usb section, if you see the word Enhanced anywhere in there then yes you do have usb.

Technotiger 11:42 07 Dec 04

ps ..... yes you do have usb2.

2CV6 12:08 07 Dec 04

Hi, my motherboard has 1 usb socket and I put the new usb2 card into a pci slot, to accomodate the new printer and cable connections, and loaded the disk and all went in ok.The printer hasn't arrived yet so nothing is connected, only the card and cable. In Dev manager it showed up as you say, enhanced. Then things started to go wrong and I have disabled all the usb things. Now the pc performs as before. Wot can be wrong? I'm an engineer,not electrical, and I always went back to the last thing that was done to find a problem solve [works99.999% of the time] so did this disable.Thanks 2cv6. ps going out for 1/2 hour back by 1pm latest

ACOLYTE 12:15 07 Dec 04

You could check whether you irq channels are conflicting with each other or the channel is shared it may not like a shared irq.Try moving the card to another place.

ACOLYTE 12:23 07 Dec 04

Try, start programs,accessories,system tools,system information,tick the + next to hardware Resouces,look in conflicts sharing,if nothing shows try clicking IRQ down the list they should all have OK next to them,they may have if the device is disabled,you may need to check with it enabled.

2CV6 13:10 07 Dec 04

Hi Acolyte,no problems highlighted in system info with anything.Started to enable the usb entries and the ps mouse froze as before. Have disabled again. pc ok again.
Enties for new usb2 are as follows, via rev2 usb universal host controller. 2 entries for via rev5 or later univ host companion controller, via usb enhanced host controller. Any other ideas? Thanks 2cv6.

ACOLYTE 13:13 07 Dec 04

Is the mouse sharing the same irq as usb device?

2CV6 13:30 07 Dec 04

Hi,it looks like the mouse is on its own on irq12. No sighting of any usb on irq page. 15 irq's on page. All the previous mentioned usb2 devices are on the problem devices page +nt apm/legacy interface. root\ntapm\000-disabled.Any help to you? Just to remind you that the pc would not boot and only occasionaly get to the desk top to instantly freeze up as soonas you clicked on anything. This usb device doesn't seem compatible. Understanding that the pc is 5 years old. Thanks 2cv6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…