usb not recognising printer

tmh2 17:25 11 Feb 09

Ok. Here we go.
initial error message says "printer not communicating" ish, when trying to print. Printer is a Lexmark 6250 mfd PC run Win Xp SP2.
checked out the forums and tried the following:
Completely uninstalled the printer.
Re booted (umpteen times).
Tried to re-install BUT when it gets to the "plug in the usb cable" nothing happens. Cancelled installation.
Turned off PC.
emptied the capacitors per other forums.
Switched on, again tried re-install & again nothing.
Tried an alternative USB port on front of pc - nothing.
Tried to install a Brother mfd instead, but again got to the "plug it in stage" and nothing, no movement.
So, where do I find the latest drivers for the usb's?
Can anyone suggest anything else that I have not tried?
Really appreciate any help I can get at this point.......

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 11 Feb 09

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

tmh2 17:31 11 Feb 09

Will this require the Windows CD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 11 Feb 09

No windows will reinstall drivers on reboot from the system root \divers folder.

skidzy 18:47 11 Feb 09

Also to add to Fruit Bat /\0/\ advice is to check the print Spooler is enabled in services.

Start/run and type
services.msc
and enter.

Check it is set to automatic.

Also briefly disable your firewall while you set the printer up if the problem continues.

tmh2 17:27 17 Feb 09

Many thanks to both of you.

The ongoing saga (having done all of the above) is my friend has now installed Panda antivirus and discovered 4 viruses on her system. They are now quarantined.
So she is going to check that she has no printers installed and remove the usb ports in device manager again. Then she is going to try to install a new brother printer (all in 1) she has bought.
Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

tmh2 16:44 21 Feb 09

Ok we have re-done all the above, and guess what - the brother printer still won't install.

Any further suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…