USB Network Adaptor accessing the internet

sattman 21:37 17 Sep 05

Using NTL Cable modem withWin ME. I am setting up a network and the router is working ok and connecting through to the Internet, however I am having problems getting the wireless lap top using a Linksys WUS54G USB network adaptor to access the internet.

Does the Lap Top have to be running the cable modem installation software to access.

Forum Editor 01:24 18 Sep 05

USB devices can play up if you plug them in before installing their software, and with network adapters this is often a problem. The trick is to install the software before you plug in the adapter, and then all should be well.

If you did things this way around and still can't connect, the problem may be related to a firewall running on the laptop.To find out, try disabling the firewall; if that cures the problem you'll need to alter the firewall settings to allow the connection.

sattman 08:59 18 Sep 05

Tried as suggested but no improvement, thier is no firewall or AV protection in use on Lap top at this time.

Apart from installing the driver and the adaptor software I have not set up anything else on the lap
Do I need to set up a LAN on the Lap Top to get it to talk?

sattman 21:33 18 Sep 05

reset parameters manually to set up the LAN and now working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…