USB network adapter or is there another way?

src1 18:13 05 Apr 10

I tried to set a wifi connection about 2 yrs ago using a netgear DG834PN router which came with a network adapter and the signal would be created and then lost after about 2 mins, even using an extension cable. The only way to get the signal back was to restart the PC, only to lose the connection again.
So we connected by using the ethernet cable and the internet was fine with the exception of the wire running over the carpet.
Now we want rid of the cable and have tried two homeplug AV network adapters which send the internet signal around the electric mains and it works fine with all the plug sockets in the house except the two sockets in the kitchen where the phone line comes in, typical!
We arre now with BT and they recommend the Edimax network adapter which we are now considering. But would like to know if a pci card would be a more stable way of rrecieving a wifi connection or are there any other options?
I can confirm that the router works fine as my laptop detects a max signal and holds the it everywhere (very impressed)
We are using XP on a desktop about 5yrs old with a BT home hub.
Any help would be appericated

Strawballs 18:44 05 Apr 10

You must have had a faulty adapter back then, you could get a PCI wireless card but I used one on my sons machine that was running 98se for quite a while and it worked from upstairs with the router downstairs but the signal was better when I changed it for a USB one on the end of an extention kead getting it away from the interference of all the electics close to the back of the tower.

matt2000 18:51 11 Apr 10

the adaptor shold not be falty as these are made well if the connection drops open device maniger open network adaptors click the adaptor click propites then scan for falts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…