USB Mouse Problem

Big Trev 17:38 11 Aug 04

As of today my USB mouse keeps jamming and making a noise similar to that made when I unplug or replug in my USB printer. Occasionally the cursor disappears altogether but then comes back.

Running XP SP1.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 11 Aug 04

sounds like you are losing the USB connection.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Big Trev 18:04 11 Aug 04

For the mouse or the USB port?

GORAL 20:48 11 Aug 04

I think Fruit Bat means your USB drivers!

Have a look at the physical connection to your USB port, it may be a bad contact. Suggest it would be worth trying another USB port, and also a fresh USB cable.

Big Trev 20:52 11 Aug 04

Ive got several USB ports and the problem persists on them all.

When I go into Device manager and start uninstalling USB devices I come to a point where the mouse ceases to work (because I've uninstalled it's USB port!) and I cant go on.

If it is a loose wire it looks as though it may be in the mouse. What's the average life expectancy of a computer mouse?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 11 Aug 04

You don't need mouse to install / unistall drivers use tab key to move through devices and + key to expand.

Uninstall all USB devices then rebbot let windows find new hardware and re install drivers.

Big Trev 22:39 11 Aug 04

Uninstalled and reinstalled all USB devices and the problem persists. Reckon it might be a loose wire in the mouse itself, having tried the mouse in several ports.

What do you think?

Big Trev 22:18 15 Aug 04

Replaced the mouse and the problem has ceased. Loose wire!

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes