USB Mouse Problem

Big Trev 17:38 11 Aug 04

As of today my USB mouse keeps jamming and making a noise similar to that made when I unplug or replug in my USB printer. Occasionally the cursor disappears altogether but then comes back.

Running XP SP1.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 11 Aug 04

sounds like you are losing the USB connection.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Big Trev 18:04 11 Aug 04

For the mouse or the USB port?

GORAL 20:48 11 Aug 04

I think Fruit Bat means your USB drivers!

Have a look at the physical connection to your USB port, it may be a bad contact. Suggest it would be worth trying another USB port, and also a fresh USB cable.

Big Trev 20:52 11 Aug 04

Ive got several USB ports and the problem persists on them all.

When I go into Device manager and start uninstalling USB devices I come to a point where the mouse ceases to work (because I've uninstalled it's USB port!) and I cant go on.

If it is a loose wire it looks as though it may be in the mouse. What's the average life expectancy of a computer mouse?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 11 Aug 04

You don't need mouse to install / unistall drivers use tab key to move through devices and + key to expand.

Uninstall all USB devices then rebbot let windows find new hardware and re install drivers.

Big Trev 22:39 11 Aug 04

Uninstalled and reinstalled all USB devices and the problem persists. Reckon it might be a loose wire in the mouse itself, having tried the mouse in several ports.

What do you think?

Big Trev 22:18 15 Aug 04

Replaced the mouse and the problem has ceased. Loose wire!

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…