USB Mouse with laptop-disable trackpad?

six-h 21:41 13 Aug 09

I've got an "Advent" laptop optical USB mouse, and expected it to automatically disable the trackpad of my Clevo machine, but both are active.
Where should I disable the trackpad, and will it be re-enabled at next boot if the USB Mouse isn't there?

MAT ALAN 21:46 13 Aug 09

Why would you want it to, it makes no diference to how the mouse works or mine doesn't it just plugs in and works...

interzone55 21:49 13 Aug 09

Some laptops do this, some don't.

My IBM ThinkPad disables the trackpoint when I plug a mouse in, but my Toshiba doesn't.

I actually prefer it not to, as the trackpad is useful for some things, like scrolling through documents and quickly moving the cursor with my thumb so I don't have to reach for the mouse whilst working.

If you do want to turn the trackpad off you should have a Synaptics driver icon in the systray, double click on this to launch the properties window, if not fire up the mouse properties from the control panel and select the Synaptics Device settings and you should find an option to disable the device when a USB mouse is attached...

woodchip 21:55 13 Aug 09

Mine is just the same, Why do you want to stop it?

On a HP

six-h 22:00 13 Aug 09

Sorry, it's just my inexperience with Laptops.
I thought it might confuse the poor machine if instructions were comming at it from different sources!
I must agree it's quite convenient to have both options available, as long as it's only me that gets confused:o)

woodchip 22:03 13 Aug 09

You could use them to have a on screen fight. NEW GAME

woodchip 22:05 13 Aug 09

Noticed that you managed to Register after I did some prodding.

six-h 22:17 13 Aug 09

woodchip, Yes thanks for that, for some reason the link you gave me used to point to a page that was a totally different style, though the name was right.
after Cy mailed me, your same link then opened one with a different layout!
I'll never understand the net!!

woodchip 13:51 14 Aug 09

They have changed the layout so you could register. I think they have gone back to a old one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced