usb mouse and laptop

conrail 21:22 05 Feb 06

wife has an Acer laptop running XP pro and a usb 2 button scroll mouse, sometimes the mouse refuses to work and needs the usb connector plugged and unplugged a couple of times, other usb items, ie hubs have the same problem, unfortunately the laptop does not have a PS/2 port, I have a couple of PS/2 mice, is it possible to tighten the port on the laptop of on the mouse etc., thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:06 05 Feb 06

Somtimes it takes awhile for windows to regonise that a usb device is plugged in.

Rather than keep unplugging leave for a while to see if it is recognised.

conrail 22:52 05 Feb 06

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, it is usually left in and only removed when my wife, a teacher, has to do about 40 reports, we go away in our caravan for a weekend, yes we are the people who hold you up, so she gets peace and quiet otherwise the family constantly interupt her, I have them trained, they go to her not me when they want something, we take the laptop, she works, I read!!!

woodchip 23:00 05 Feb 06

Check the BIOS to make sure all USB items are Enabled

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:47 06 Feb 06

1. Plug in after boot up, Windows often ignores connete devices at boot up.

2. Usb power switched off during standby /hibernate
Control panel - performance maintenance - sytem hardware -Device manager- highlight USB root hubs in turn- right click -properties - power management tab - untick Allow the computer to turn off...

conrail 12:04 08 Feb 06

thanks guys, everything is fine in the BIOS and device manager, your suggestion seems to work Fruit Bat /\0/\, plugging in after booting up, strange that the laptop knows the usb printer and network adaptor are there but not the mouse on boot up, again thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…