USB Mouse and Keyboard

wossie 22:01 20 Feb 10

I have a dell computer which has only USB ports and no PS2 ports if I connect a new mouse and keyboard, new hardware found etc. How do I continue to install if they are not recognised. I have come across this a few times and had to reinstall the OS.

rdave13 22:10 20 Feb 10

Possibly a good question to ask Dell who supply the machine. Find out if Dell have forums and ask there.
They must know it's not a problem otherwise they wouldn't supply a machine without ps/2 connections, would they? :)

rizlo29 22:13 20 Feb 10

A disk to install drivers. go to device manager and tell us the hardware specs.

start>>run>>type DEVMGMT.MSC and scroll down to the device. From there you can try to install drivers too. Make sure you are connected to the web so it can search. If fail tell us the make and models.

User-312386 22:21 20 Feb 10

In the BIOS there is usb legacy support, if enabled a keyboard and mouse can be used and windows will load generic drivers!

wossie 22:29 20 Feb 10

How do I click, start, run when the keyboard is not recognised, there is only USB ports, why would you have to enable usb legacy. Putting it plainly, my mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working, I bought a new mouse and keyboard, new hardware found etc. I can't click with the mouse ro use the tab key to navigate.

rdave13 22:32 20 Feb 10

Give Dell a ring. It's their problem really.

rdave13 22:42 20 Feb 10

OK. Try this, power down the PC using on/off button for a few seconds. Disconnect from the mains. Hold the power on/off button in for half a minute. If wireless keyboard and mouse then connect the receiver to the usb socket. Reconnect the mains and power up the PC. Once in the log in screen see if the mouse works. If not use the connecting button on the receiver and then on the keyboard and mouse.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:45 20 Feb 10

Have you pressed the connect buttons on the HID device and the mouse / keyboard (underneath) to pair the devices?

rizlo29 22:58 20 Feb 10

So you cant even press f key on reboot to reformat?? you have a big problem then.

Have you got a second system you can connect to and an ethernet cable?

Or can you use someoneelses pc and remote access to solve it??

wossie 23:42 20 Feb 10

Ok, I have a dell PC with no PS2 ports, I connected a wired mouse and keyboard and installed XP, a few days later I connected a different mouse and keyboard only to be met with the new hardware found, so I could not continue as they were not recognised. Surely I am not the only person to be confronted with this problem. If I disconnected the pc and moved to another room, reconnect to different ports same problem. Yes rdave13 they do supply PC without PS2 ports, I have 3 of them. Others do also. That is why I would like to solve this. Thanks lads.

rdave13 23:45 20 Feb 10

So what is Dell's answer to your problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced