USB modem speed

exprog 17:15 15 Aug 05

Having just signed up with PIPEX and to issued with an Alcatel 330 USB modem. I was wondering if the broadband speed of 2mb would still be reachable using USB 1.1. Or would it be betyter to get a USB 2.0 card.

Jackcoms 17:24 15 Aug 05

Yes it will still be reachable. I use a USB2 modem in a 1.1 socket and achieve 1.89mb speeds.

If anyone tells you they achieve full 2mb speed they probably live about 3 feet away from their local exchange. ;-)

fermerboy 17:34 15 Aug 05

My sister is on Tiscali 2mb broadband and when she is online it reads connected at 2.3mbps.
Uses a sagem something or other usb mobem that tiscali sent to her.
Can't be right can it??? It is bloody quick though.

exprog 17:39 15 Aug 05

Thanks for the info..It seems that USB 1.1 is capable.

Stuartli 17:43 15 Aug 05

That is the maximum speed of which your line is capable - I get the same figure in the panel but when originally signing up for 1MB Tiscali BB I was getting up to 2.4MB on speed tests...:-)

Then it was throttled back to 1MB after six weeks only for Tiscali to offer 2MB to new or existing customers for the same price earlier this month...:-))

Now getting just a fraction below 2MB - I live 580 yards as the crow flies from the local exchange.

A friend who lives at the other end of town was upgraded from 256 to 512kbps and the panel now lists 592kbps.

CurlyWhirly 18:17 15 Aug 05

I know that USB 1.1 runs at a speed of 12 mb so I assume that the maximum broadband speed this can cope with is 12 mb so it will easily handle 2 mb.

I also know that USB 2.0 is capable of a much faster speed of 480 mb so I guess this is a bit of overkill as these types of speeds are usually used by hard drives to transfer large amounts of data quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…