USB modem - incorrect error report

Pineman100 19:26 18 Apr 10

My old dad runs an elderly XP (SP3) computer. For years he has connected to the internet via a Sagem [email protected] 800/840 modem (provided some years ago by his ISP, Tiscali - now Talk Talk).

Recently he's started getting an error report when he first boots up. Once the desktop has appeared, a small error report opens that says:

"ADSL USB Modem:
"Unknown hardware detected. Software is not compatible."

If he clicks OK to close this report window, everything behaves normally. He still has his internet connection, and nothing else seems affected.

I've uninstalled the modem, restarted the computer, reinstalled from the original Tiscali broadband CD. The problem still exists.

I've done the same, but with drivers downloaded from Sagem. That didn't work either.

This is a minor problem which, as I've said, doesn't actually affect my father's use of the computer. But he's very old (94) and it worries him. So I'd like to try and solve it.

Any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 18 Apr 10

Might be worth clearing out all old instances of the modem drivers in device manager
If you set the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable, Device Manager will show you the "ghosts" of past devices that are no longer connected to your system (or in the case of USB devices, were perhaps attached to a different USB jack) if you enable Show Hidden Devices. From there, you can right-click and uninstall all these non-present devices. (Don't worry, the OS will detect and reinstall the drivers automatically when devices are reconnected.)

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc
4. Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
5. When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
6. Type exit at the command prompt.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

Then try a reinstall of the modem drivers.

T0SH 20:23 18 Apr 10

Did you uninstall the USB modem, then unplug the USB modem, reboot the computer and then install the drivers, if during the install it does not prompt for the USB modem to be plugged in, reboot and once fully up to the desktop plug in the USB modem to get windows plug and play finalise the driver install

Cheers HC

Pineman100 09:56 19 Apr 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thank you for that very comprehensive set of instructions. When I next visit my father (he lives 150 miles away), I'll try that routine.

I'd like to try it via Crossloop remote access, but my father is very deaf, so I wouldn't be able to get him to read me out the Crossloop access code, or to put the drivers CD into the drive at the appropriate moment.

Tosh - thanks, yes that's exactly the routine that I followed (except that, in the case of the Tiscali CD, it did prompt me when to plug in the modem USB plug).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…