USB modem: can receive but not send emails.

Flopper 13:44 05 Jun 08

I have bought a USB plug in modem from 3 and I can browse the net and receive emails but I cannot send emails. When I try I get the message:

"Task 'pop.tiscali.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 554 Sorry, your non-local IP address (92.40.52.45) is not allowed to send email via me"

My ISP is Tiscali.
I have had a reply from 3 which merely confirmed receipt of my query and a useless reply from Tiscali.
Is it a problem with 3 or Tiscali?
One idea is to change the SMTP setting every time I use this modem. That seems a little excessive.
My instinct is to send it back to 3.
Any suggestions?

brundle 15:49 05 Jun 08

You have to send mail using the SMTP server of the provider you are using at the time. A measure introduced to prevent spammers logging on with one ISP and sending email via any SMTP server they chose.

Flopper 17:04 05 Jun 08

Are you saying that every time I use the modem I have to change my smtp settings to those of the supplier of the USB modem?

brundle 17:10 05 Jun 08

Yes, unless you use something like GMail as a catch-all SMTP server. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017