USB MIDI port

Colinobb 12:55 24 Aug 08

I bought a USB MIDI port from MAPlIN.
It's made by "TaHorng"
I have 2 XP PC's,
the older, slower pc recognises the port as a "generic audio device" and automaticaly loads the necessary drivers. No problem.
However, it's the newer, faster pc which i need to use it on. This machine does not reccognise it as a generic audio device, and lists it as "other devices" - "TaHorng Musical Instrument"
It refuses to load drivers for it.
I've tried directing it via the network to the drivers which the first machine loads but it won't open them!
I've tried using all the different USB ports on the new PC but withouthout any success.
The new machine has all three XP service packs, so should have the same software as the old.
Any ideas?

MC2006 12:42 08 Dec 08

I've got the sme usb interface and my music software just won't see it.

I get the computer telling me that it's found the usb device and installed the driver, and checking properties in devices says that the device is working properly.

I reinstalled the driver for the onboard soundcard with all the midi bits hooked up, still no joy.

I've got the problem on two seperate computers both on XP sp2.

I've checked that the drivers for Microsoft midi sequencer are where they should be.

Checked all the midi options and settings in both programs, but they can't seem to find the driver.

There's a missing link somewhere just can't put my finger on it!

howard64 15:13 08 Dec 08

a suggestion would be to examine the services on both pcs and see if the one that works the midi has a different service enabled to the other pc. This is hit and miss but might find it. Either use start - run and type services.msc or go to the control panel and administrative tools and then services.

MC2006 10:12 09 Dec 08

thanks for the idea howard64, unfortunatly I've checked out the services and been thru all the devices again and still nothing, computer keeps saying that everything is working and services are started.

The only area I haven't checked is the bios, probably cause I'm not quite sure what to look for.

CLONNEN 11:08 09 Dec 08

Try using a driver backup program on the computer it works on (eg. Driver Genius which lets you backup drivers as self-extracting EXE files) then run the EXE file on the other computer to install the necessary files.

You'll need a floppy disk or a USB drive to copy the EXE file to the other machine unless they are networked.

CLONNEN 11:10 09 Dec 08

I used this method on an old USB Card Reader which worked on my old computer but refused to recognise properly on my new PC.

MC2006 12:50 09 Dec 08

Thaks for the response Clonnen, the problem is that this the first time that I'm trying to get midi going on these two computers, so I didn't have a working driver to back up.

One slight bit of progress though. A while back I managed to download the actual TaHorng drivers.

Went to "Add Hardware", selected "add new hardware" then "Have disk" and added the driver from the TaHorng driver folder. It did the installion and now at least the driver is appearing in the driver lists in the music progs,

But still no data going between the synth and the computers

Did have a look at the bios in the end, but there didn't seem to be anything related to midi.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…