USB message Win 7 64bit

highside 10:24 AM 03 Aug 12

Why do I get regular messages from Windows telling me that a device would work better if I connected it to a USB2 port when my PC has only USB 2 and the powered hub I use is also USB2?

Thanks for looking.

difarn 10:34 AM 03 Aug 12

You may find this article useful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 PM 03 Aug 12

You may have a problem with the enhanced driver in device manager.

Look under USB and check one of the drivers shows as Enhanced Driver.

highside 13:21 PM 03 Aug 12

Under USB Serial Bus controllers I have Generic USB Hub Intel(R) ICH(Family USB Host Controller - 2934 to 2939 (ie six entries) Intel(R) ICH9(Family USB Enhanced Host Controller- 293A Intel(R) ICH9(Family USB Enhanced Host Controller- 293C USB Composite Device USB Mass Storage Device USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub All show as 'working properly'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:39 PM 03 Aug 12

They look OK

Is it one particular device causing the message or one particular Port?

It could be worth uninstalling ALL the USB drivers and rebooting and let windows reinstall the USB drivers. However this can be a prolem if you only have a keyboard works by USB either wired or wireless.

difarn 16:26 PM 03 Aug 12

If you are satisfied that your usb ports are working correctly and the message is just niggling you the article I posted earlier tells you how to disable this....

To do so, open the Device Manager (type Device Manager into the Start menu and press Enter), right-click the USB host controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and select Properties. Uncheck the Tell me if my device can perform faster check box on the Advanced tab.

highside 16:59 PM 03 Aug 12

Thank you both. Still looking at that interesting article. Probably disable as you suggest doesnt seem too important. Suddenly realised it seems to be to do with the USB mouse so will try changing that first.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone