USB Memory Stick Problem

charliechalk 18:35 06 Aug 07

Can you help?

I have a Buffalo USB Memory Stick 128mb full of Excel spreadsheets which I need to access asap.

When I insert into lefthand USB port on my pc the computer switches itself off completely.

When I insert into the righthand port it is as if I have not plugged it in at all.

My USB ports recognise my mp3/camera etc.

I have also tried my memory stick on another computer and it is the same on that?

^wave^ 18:39 06 Aug 07

check the conections of usb stick sounds likea bent pin to me

charliechalk 19:56 06 Aug 07

Nothing looks bent inside the stick. Any other suggestions?

andrew-196854 20:02 06 Aug 07

have you tried downloading a driver for it

skidzy 20:08 06 Aug 07

Unless 98/98se a driver should not be required as the memory stick you list as a removal drive in My Computer.

Has the memory stick got wet/damp ?

charliechalk 20:29 06 Aug 07

I am on Windows XP so have not downloaded a driver. No it has not got wet to my knowledge.

Any more suggestions?

try tweak ui
click here
once downloaded expand the my computer heading within tweakui and select drives,this will bring up a-z of drive letters,deselect z and then try inserting the usb drive again
the problem maybe that windows isnt allocating a drive letter to the usb drive.
this is a long shot however as it would be unlikely to be the case on two different pcs.

X™ 20:47 06 Aug 07

Are you sure nothing is inside the USB plug? I had one on mine once, and I lost an hours work by plugging it in to save something at school. A tiny bit of tinfoil was shorting out the positive and negetive pins, it makes the computers shut down instantly.

Very odd that the right hand USB port does nothing though.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac