USB Memory stick problem

techprob 13:41 05 Nov 06

Hello

I've recently experienced a problem with my USB memeory stick. It has worked okay for around 3 months but now I cannot use it.

I have a Windows XP SP2 pc. When I plug it in I get this message:

USB Device Not recognised: The USB device has malfunction... etc. Under device manager it shows up as an unknown device, and in properties it says 'no driver is installed for this device'

I have tried the USB stick on another PC (running windows 2000) and it workd fine so I assume it is not a problem with the stick.

I have also tried the following:

-I have checked the USB Root Hub and USB Host controller and both seem to be working fine in device manager

-I have uninstalled the driver for the device in device manager and scanned for hardware changes. It scans: i)finds a USB device ii) then says unknown device and iii) finally says your hardware is installed and ready to use.
But then I can't access it and it still shows as an unknown device in device manager.

-I have tried a system restore back to when it was working.

None of the above steps have proved any help.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated!!

BurrWalnut 13:47 05 Nov 06

Whenever mine misbehaves I get it back by using a different USB port, have you tried this?

techprob 13:52 05 Nov 06

I have tried it in all my USB ports but unfortunately no luck.

Also to clarify the memory stick is a:

Mikomi 256mb Flash memeory stick which I bought from Argos a few months back.

Thanks

techprob 16:22 05 Nov 06

Bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 05 Nov 06

USB equip not recognised
Try switching the computer off and at the wall. Then hold the start switch in for 30 seconds or more, and then re boot.

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

techprob 17:01 05 Nov 06

Unfortunately this hasn't made any difference.

Plus now my printer isn't working. Apparently there is a problem 'communicating with the printer' which is also USB

skidzy 18:48 05 Nov 06

Uninstall the printer software from add and remove programs run Ccleaner click here reboot.

Now try the usb memory stick,and reload the printer software.Then check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks under usb headings.

Alternatively try the sfc system file checker sfc /scannow (note the space /) Understanding SFC click here

techprob 19:40 05 Nov 06

I removed the printer software then ran Ccleaner.
Unfortunately I still had the same problem with the printer and usb stick as described above.

I the ran the scannow checker. It did its full file checking thing. I then plugged in my usb stick but still it registered as an unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark

skidzy 19:48 05 Nov 06

Do you have you mobo driver and ultlities disc,might be worth a try with that if possible.

There have been a few threads regarding non working usb flash drives lately,im wondering if this is connected to a Microsoft update.

TC 19:52 05 Nov 06

I might be a bit late now, but as you used the USB stick in another computer, did you re-format it, if not, this might be a good idea.

With regards to your, now other USB problems, what about doing a system restore to a point before you un-installed anything.

Then, only remove the un-recognised item.

If when you plug it back in again, see if you can update the driver using the disk that came with the stick or look on the companies web site.

There could of course be a problem with the memory stick, see if it can be read in another XP system.

TC

techprob 20:04 05 Nov 06

Okay thanks for your help. The problem with the printer is really odd because it is detecting it and installing the relevant driver but when I go to print the printer status box appears and stays at 0% with no activity with the printer??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…