USB Memory Stick

Ponkin 13:19 03 Nov 03

I am looking for information on usb memory stick so any links would be helpful
Thank you in anticipation

MAJ 13:25 03 Nov 03

What type of info do you need, Ponkin, Price? Sizes?

Ponkin 13:29 03 Nov 03

Primarily just general tech info,what it is, how it works, and avantages/Disavantages etc

Thanks

The Sack 13:58 03 Nov 03

It is just flash memory with a USB interface.

Kudu 14:07 03 Nov 03

This explainsclick here

TheTerminator 14:14 03 Nov 03

If you can get a USB2 compatible stick, it will work on USB and USB2 ports. At my school, some people went for the more expensive sticks with built in password protection which has saved them on a number of times when they lose their sticks.

Overall, superb! Quick, easy to use (my parents can use them)..
The only problem is that sometimes people lose their work as they pull the stick out whilst it is whizzing away and writing to it.
Hope this helps

Southernboy 14:32 03 Nov 03

is it really that simple?

If you plug it in and it appears as a new drive, does it not need software? And when you remove it, what happens to the drive letter?

I have been very puzzled at how a PC recognises any external drive as I believe that some of these actually shuffle drive letters around and confuse file paths. For example, I understand a HD will insert itself before a CD drive, thus changing the drive letters for CD drives, Zip drives and the like.

I think this is the sort of information that Ponkin is looking for.

Southernboy 14:33 03 Nov 03

What is Flash Memory? Please don't assume we know.

TheTerminator 14:44 03 Nov 03

it is that simple, plug it in and the computer assigns the first free letter which is tied to the usb memory stick until you unplug it. when you re-plug it, the first free letter again is assigned to the memory stick. On my computer it is usually the I drive although it has been a G and H drive before - depending on how my hard disc is partitioned.
Flash memory is just memory that remembers what is being saved after the power has switched off, unlike RAM in the computer. So all it means is that it can be saved, computer switched off or you move to another computer a day later and everything is still on your usb drive.

BurrWalnut 14:45 03 Nov 03

If you're using Win98 you get a driver with it. WinME and WinXP use Windows drivers. First time you plug it in, it instals and is given a drive letter.

Ebuyer was selling 128Mb (equivalent to 88 floppies) for ?26 about 2 months ago.

BurrWalnut 14:46 03 Nov 03

Twenty-six pounds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…