usb keys

conrail 13:35 PM 21 Jun 12

probably a daft question but I carry videos/photos of granddaughter on 8Gb usb keys to show friends and family, easier than on discs, any idea on why some will work with some TV's and others wont, ie on my TV a Sandisk drive works but a Kinston isn't recognised, both came formatted to FAT 32, is there anything I need to do to have them both working the same, I have formatted both to FAT32 but still the same, TV wont accept anything bigger that 8GB formatted to FAT 32?

Woolwell 17:01 PM 21 Jun 12

Do the TV manuals give any instructions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 PM 21 Jun 12

Most TVs / recorders use Linux base systems and sticks / drives seem to work better on the ext2 format.

To format a stick as ext2 you will need to boot from a live linux CD r have linux installed as a dual boot on your windows system.

To access files on an ext2 partition in Windows you need the IFS utility

conrail 19:20 PM 21 Jun 12

thanks for reply Woolwell, manual just says: 'Some USB compliant devices may not be supported.' thanks also Fruit Bat /\0/\, the options are DTV/USB which I usually select and ext1 and ext1S

robin_x 19:34 PM 21 Jun 12

My PVR is also hopeless at recognising an individual device. It may work for several transfers, then stop.

A re-plugging may work or it may take a full reboot or I may swap to another device, till it plays up with that as well.

I've seen others moan about it too, and with new devices from various manufacturers and other models of my PVR (Sagem). It's not a connection issue just crap software in my case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 PM 21 Jun 12

I think you have misunderstood my post

ext1 - ext1S will be selectable external input connections to your TV

I am talking about a file system used in linux ext2 (windows uses FAT32 and NTFS).

the drive may be recognised better when formatted using the ext2 file system in linux rather than FAT32.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone