USB internet connection drops out

skell 11:50 08 Mar 03

My internet connection drops out after about ten minutes. Im using a cable connection into a USB port. Iv'e been told its something to do with the chipset - VIA Apollo KT133 - is this wright? if so is there anywhere i can download something to rectify the problem?

jazzypop 14:25 08 Mar 03

There have been a few issues with some VIA chipsets and USB connectors - the latest VIA Hyperion (4-in-1) drivers are available from click here

A better solution (assuming you are using an NTL cable modem) is to fit a PCI network card, and connect the modem via an Ethernet cable. Refer to the documentation, but it is usually a crossover Ethernet cable, not a straight-through one.

skell 17:41 09 Mar 03

I downloaded the new drivers but my connection still drops out, so I'll probably have to fit an Ethernet card like you have suggested. Thanks again jazzypop.

Mike Mills 18:58 09 Mar 03

Have you checked the power management settings of USB ports? If you go into Device Manager, then Universal Serial Bus controllers, then 'right click' the USB Root Hub - click properties. Next click on the tab marked Power Management and ensure the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked. This was causing my USB Modem to drop out periodically, until i changed the above setting. I hope this works for you! Good Luck.

skell 17:15 10 Mar 03

I checked the properties settings but tab power management was'nt available. I guess you must be using a different OS, im unsing Win98Se.
I have now encounted another problem after downloading the new drivers. in system performance i get an error saying "that windows is using MS-DOS because there is a compatibilty problem with a driver windows didn't reconize". Iv'e removed the driver i downloaded but the error is still there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…