USB - - huh? how? where?

amandawho 23:00 25 Mar 03

Ok, all I know is that a usb is something I need to install my cam. I have and older computer and no usb port.

How do I know which usb to purchase, and, is this something I can install on my own?

Keep it simple, please.. its all news to me!

powerless 23:04 25 Mar 03

Do you have a PCI slot in your computer and running (lets play it safe) Windows 98?

If yes click here

Load the CD install drivers pop the card in ...

Away you go!

VoG™ 23:07 25 Mar 03

Here's a link to one I bought recently click here

It is dead simple to install - if I can anyone can. Just be aware that you might invalidate your warranty by opening the case.

Follow the instructions to the letter.

amandawho 23:11 25 Mar 03

And would the PCI slot be the "compartment" above the CD drive? Theres nothing there, except what looks like a cover.

Thanks!

woodchip 23:22 25 Mar 03

Do not think so sounds like Win95 :)

powerless 23:27 25 Mar 03

No the PCI Slot would be on the back of the computer. If you can open the case up look at the big board that you see.

Thats called a motherboard.

click here to see what you should be looking for its those long white things.

woodchip 23:38 25 Mar 03

Are you running Win98 if not USB will not work. You need to first buy Win98

amandawho 23:41 25 Mar 03

Yea, Im running Win 98 :) I will take a look around and certainly be back here if I need more help. Thanks a bunch!

woodchip 23:57 25 Mar 03

Then if you have Win98 you only need a PCI USB card. If there are USB header pins on the motherboard it would be cheaper to buy USB twin socket that will fit in the back of your computer and plug on to the headers. They can be found on your motherboard near the back of the computer and will be marked on the board as USB red wire goes to number one pin wight green black follow that. There will be two rows of pins ether 8 or 10 pins in two rows

Belatucadrus 00:00 26 Mar 03

click here for a 2 port USB card

woodchip 00:01 26 Mar 03

White even not wight getting Tired

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…