USB- hubs or PCI

jack 12:12 20 Oct 05

A frequent query here is 'My USB device wont run or the computer has stopped or similar.
The answer can boil down to 1 Unplug USB devices not in use or get hold a Powered Hub as oppeosed to a 'dumb' hub.

The reason given being the multiplicty of USB devices requiring power [Some scanners/drives and the like]from the PC-PSU is more than the unit can cope with.

My question is - Would this also be true for a PCI card of extra USB sockets?

€dstowe 13:16 20 Oct 05

A PCI USB card will give you a complete new set of USB sockets - more than a hub of any type can do. Even powered hubs rely on a single USB connector into the computer so they are, to my mind, pretty useless especially when you consider that you can buy a multi connector USB PCI card for such a low price.

Diemmess 13:36 20 Oct 05

Only downside to a PCI-USB card is overload to PSU.

Usually fast, neat and quite safe, but if current demand is higher than average there is a small risk of overloading an old (low wattage) PSU.

jack 14:05 20 Oct 05

In the discussion yesterday €dstowes reasoning that a 'hub' ultimately channels the data/power down one 'line' where as PCI card gives 4/5 new single 'lines'came up as did Deimess argument - that demands from multiple devices whether through a single channel or through dedicated lines will still with the wrong sort of device 'Pull the Power down' were both put successfully - So there is no remedy to power drop except- 'If it aint in use -pull it out'- even a more powerful PSU will reach its limit.

Diemmess 14:30 20 Oct 05

.........Vary hugely, many peripherals draw only a token milliamp or two.

Printers usually have their own power supplies, external HDs also. Pen drives and direct camera downloading hardly use anything at all.

The hungry ones will be a Broadband Modem and some Readers and other plug-in devices which for cost cutting or space reasons need to draw current.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…