USB Hubs

Dobba 16:40 08 Oct 03

I've just bought a powered 7 position USB Hub,but I notice that my Broadband Modem and my Zip Drive (outside) will only work when plugged directly into one of the USB slots on the computer.
Are there USB slots and USB slots, with some working for some add-ons and not for others?
Alan H.

jimv7 16:46 08 Oct 03

Will anything work from the hub, if not its propably faulty.

smegs 16:48 08 Oct 03

I haven't look into it, but as I understand it, there is another USB slot called USB2, I know if this USB2 is taking over from the normal USB. Don't know how it works. Sorry.

Morpheus© 16:50 08 Oct 03

as said above, my guess is that it has a fault. i run 8 things from two belkin hubs and they all work ace.

kingkenny 16:52 08 Oct 03

You have USB1.0 and USB 2.0 and these only really denote the transfer speeds of each. I don't have the figures to hand but I am sure someone else will. Have you tried connecting the Hub to other USB ports on your PC?

spuds 19:12 08 Oct 03

Recently I installed a new Lexmark X5150 printer and a Umax scanner into my system.The scanner would not work, so I contacted Umax for advice. They stated that I would need a self powered Hub.I purchased the hub, connected the scanner,and all worked okay.Running short of direct USB connections, I connected the Lexmark printer to the self powered hub. This method did not work, as the printer at certain stages, caused the computer to crash, so I contacted Lexmark. Their advice, was that I had to connect direct to the computer hub, and not via the self powered USB hub.So two different pieces of kit, with different working methods.

Ben0012 19:27 08 Oct 03

The amount of current your computer can supply through its USB ports is finite and connecting peripherals that require, or combine to require, a heavier current than your computer is designed to provide to USB can cause malfunction by:
1. Causing the peripheral to malfunction
2. Cause all attached peripherals to malfunction
3. Cause your computer to crash or shut down
Using a powered USB hub, regardless of whether it is for USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, provides the current the attached peripheral requires without taking it from your PC.
Occasionally you will get a funny where a peripheral will only work properly when directly connected to the computer USB port but it is ideal to attempt connection through a powered hub first.
I have USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 both operating powered hubs and have no problems, the only peripheral connected directly being my ADSL USB modem.
I had a problem with the first powered hub I used and tried it on another computer and found the same faults. My retailer replaced it and it has worked fine since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…