//some 3rd party need geo

USB Hub Question

rawprawn 20:05 08 Mar 04

I am installing broadband this week and I was short of a USB port, so I went & bought a 4 port hub. The guy in the shop said I needed a powered hub connected to the mains, & I bought a Belkin USB 2 4 port hub which I have plugged in. All works well but do I really need it to be plugged into the main electricity supply to keep the broadband modem happy?.

Big Elf 20:17 08 Mar 04

This is only based on what I've read in other threads and I have no practical experience. You need the power and it is better to connect the modem via a direct port on the PC rather than a (powered) hub. However you will only need USB 1.1.

slimbo51 20:25 08 Mar 04

Far better if u can connect using an Ethernet card.

Don't know if ur system will allow this or not, but it seems to be much more stable than usb.

Paranoid Android 20:26 08 Mar 04

It depends on the current. If you are using only one or two low current devices, you can get away without power. Otherwise, plug it in.

You will also find it more reliable at regognising devices with the power connected.

Marvin

rawprawn 21:25 08 Mar 04

Thanks for your replies,I don't know about ethernet, but I think that the answer is to plug it in. I can connect direct to the pc so if I have any trouble I will try it tht way. Thanks again.
Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…