USB hub powered or not, and which?

Carafaraday 16:31 06 Aug 03

To save endlesslessly plugging and unplugging (and crawling around the floor behind the pc) I am thinking of investing in a USB hub. I have two USB ports - one of which is permanently assigned to the scanner (which has its own power source). The other port is the one where I intent to plug in the hub - with the idea of using it for digital cameras and card reader. Everything else is non USB.

Powered or not?

Advice - comments, dos and don'ts, all welcomed.

User-312386 16:39 06 Aug 03

i would use a powered one as sometimes it can drain a lot of power from the PC

Carafaraday 16:44 06 Aug 03

Any suggestions for actual type?

alcudia 16:50 06 Aug 03

I've used a Belkin in the past, but eventually added more ports through a pci card. Often items connected through the hub would not be picked up.
More trouble than it was worth really.
You might be luckier.
Anybody want to buy a Belkin 4 port hub.

spargo 16:56 06 Aug 03

I have bought a USB hub for the very same reason,
one made by 'Trust' bought at a computer fair. It has its own power supply and I've had no probs with it at all.

Carafaraday 17:04 06 Aug 03

I was actually thinking of a Belkin as they make the card reader that I have. If I left everything plugged in would that get round the problem of non-detection, or is it more complicated than that (it usually is, I find!). A 'pci card' - whatever that is - sounds a move too far for me, I'm afraid.

Rayuk 18:28 06 Aug 03

I have a Belkin 4port powered hub,never had any problems.
Even ran a usb scanner[no seperate power supply]again no problems.

barrie_g 18:32 06 Aug 03

"A 'pci card' - whatever that is"

Is simply a card with contacts along one edge which plugs into a white slot on your mother board, and in the case of usb cards that is all there is to it.

Carafaraday 18:35 06 Aug 03

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll give the Belkin a try.

User-312386 21:01 06 Aug 03

or

why not add a PCI USB card in

spuds 23:22 06 Aug 03

I use a Medion 4 point self powered hub, purchased from Aldi for £9.99.The problem that I had was with a scanner and card reader, which would not work properly using the direct usb connection on the computer. The scanner and card reader manufacturer's both suggested that a self-powered usb hub would solve the problem,and it did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…